Which blog app for Django-CMS?
Michael Hipp
2010-01-30 13:38:00 UTC
I've sorta asked this question before and was pointed toward django-yaba
[1]. I was all set yesterday to download and implement it when I noticed
that the author is no longer using yaba [2]. And I noticed that yaba has
had no changes for almost 3 months [3], so signs are it's a dormant project.

Can anyone recommend a blog app for Django-CMS? Something easy to
integrate, both technically and aesthetically, with Django-CMS would be
a bonus.

Thanks,
Michael

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/django-cms/browse_thread/thread/b06f45067ae55d6d
[2] http://www.f4ntasmic.com/2010/01/more-changes.html
[3] http://github.com/f4nt/django-yaba
Gour
2010-01-30 14:47:33 UTC
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 07:38:00 -0600
Michael> Can anyone recommend a blog app for Django-CMS? Something easy
Michael> to integrate, both technically and aesthetically, with
Michael> Django-CMS would be a bonus.

Mingus is becoming nice blog, but it's standalone and I don't have
idea if it's possible to integrate it easily with django-cms.

Sincerely,
Gour

p.s. I played with yaba, but it looks that I moved away on time. :-)
--
Gour | Hlapicina, Croatia | GPG key: F96FF5F6
fink
2010-01-30 16:30:05 UTC
Perhaps we should just ask the maintainer:
f4nt, are you dropping all development for yaba?

Also, perhaps it's time for a community developed blog app specifically for django-cms? (with apphook, nav extenders, plugins, multilang, etc.)

I'd be willing to help with this. Anyone interested? Depending on f4nt's plans, maybe we can fork his work as a starting point?
Michael Hipp
2010-01-30 16:55:36 UTC
Post by fink
f4nt, are you dropping all development for yaba?
Also, perhaps it's time for a community developed blog app specifically for django-cms? (with apphook, nav extenders, plugins, multilang, etc.)
I'd be willing to help with this. Anyone interested? Depending on f4nt's plans, maybe we can fork his work as a starting point?
I believe having a batteries-included blog app would be a terrific
selling point for Django-CMS.

Starting with yaba seems to make sense, especially if it means a
decision to use yaba in the meantime wouldn't turn into a dead end.

FWIW, count me in.

Michael
Patrick Toal
2010-01-30 17:27:35 UTC
I haven't looked at this yet, but since it is going to be integrated into the Pinax project it is interesting to me:

http://github.com/eldarion/biblion

Since blogs are a phase II deliverable for my project, I'm not going to be able to contribute at the moment, but I thought I'd make people aware of it.

-PT
---
Patrick Toal
manuel
2010-02-01 22:11:06 UTC
+1 we recently had the same Question here. We decided to write our
own, but did not start yet.

So a django-cms aware blog with bells and whistles would be great. I
would be willing to help too.

cheers
jag
2010-02-06 02:42:01 UTC
After discussing with fink and yml in IRC, I've started a scratchpad
wiki page for bouncing ideas around.

http://wiki.github.com/digi604/django-cms-2.0/content-container-scratchpad
Kevin
2010-01-31 02:08:27 UTC
Post by Michael Hipp
I've sorta asked this question before and was pointed toward django-yaba
[1]. I was all set yesterday to download and implement it when I noticed
that the author is no longer using yaba [2]. And I noticed that yaba has
had no changes for almost 3 months [3], so signs are it's a dormant project.
Upon reading the links:

[1] I also was pointed to django-yaba, and I have found it pretty
good.
[2] The author is no longer using it because he decided to give up his
linode, and use blogger instead.
[3] Code is on github, so we can fork away and use. If it works, and
django is still @ 1.1.1, then what changes needed to be made?
f4nt
2010-02-01 17:29:34 UTC
Hey all,

I'm the "maintainer" of YaBa, and I'm glad to see some people
interested in it. So a bit of information/answers in regards to YaBa
and the concerns Michael had at the top of the thread.

1. I did stop using YaBa. I wasn't blogging much, and burning $20 a
month on a Linode seemed silly for a VM I wasn't really using.
2. YaBa has been change free for so long because it was built fairly
specifically for *my* needs. I don't mean that in an offstandish way,
that's just how it panned out. I needed a blog application and had
been playing with Django for a few months. I realized there wasn't a
really good blog application at the time (Mingus was just getting
started), so I started crafting exactly what I needed. So, for the
past few months I hadn't needed anything new or different.
3. It is a (mostly) dormant project. I am however more than happy to
accept patches/pull requests and merge them into the master.

All that aside though, I don't think YaBa is necessarily the best blog
for the job. Then again it all depends on what people needed. When I
integrated YaBa into our django-cms project (http://
www.chicagodjango.com), I ended up hiding a large chunk of features
(github, twitter, etc). After that it became a really basic blog
application. I think in some ways you might be better off using django-
basic-apps (http://github.com/nathanborror/django-basic-apps). There's
a blog in there that's pretty basic, and can be extended easily (it's
the basis of Mingus iirc).

I'm happy with whatever anyone chooses, but I do know that YaBa needs
some polish and fixing up before it can sensibly be made as the de
facto standard for blog apps in regards to django-cms. Since it's my
oldest and my first real project with Django, it's a real eye sore to
me though. I've learned a lot since I wrote it, and as a result the
code looks pretty gross in my eyes :)

Anyways, if you have any questions or anything feel free to lemme
know.
Michael Hipp
2010-02-03 00:54:02 UTC
f4nt, thanks for sharing your plans and perspectives.

Does anyone have any more thoughts on which blog app is best for DjangoCMS?

Appears there are several choices:
- django-yaba
- Mingus
- django-basic-apps
- biblion

I really need to implement a blog, but would like to stay on a course
parallel with django-cms. So I'm still hoping for a semi-authoritative
answer to bubble up.

Thanks,
Michael
fink
2010-02-03 03:01:58 UTC
we spoke with f4nt yesterday about this on irc. to summarize:

- for various reasons, f4nt thinks we should investigate django-basic-apps before deciding on yaba
- instead of 'django cms blog app', think 'django cms blog plugin'
- external to django-cms, can integrate nicely with django-cms base plugins & functionality
- perhaps a 'bridge plugin' to django-basic-apps? i did this with photologue, it actually wasn't that hard

imho, necessary features are:
- apphook
- nav extenders
- page plugins
- multilang

what do you guys think?
Subject: Re: Which blog app for Django-CMS?
Michael Hipp
2010-02-03 14:29:49 UTC
Post by fink
- for various reasons, f4nt thinks we should investigate django-basic-apps before deciding on yaba
- instead of 'django cms blog app', think 'django cms blog plugin'
- external to django-cms, can integrate nicely with django-cms base plugins& functionality
- perhaps a 'bridge plugin' to django-basic-apps? i did this with photologue, it actually wasn't that hard
My only concern would be that the blog included in django-basic-apps is
marketed as being very, well, "basic" [1]. Whereas yaba and biblion
seemed to be more feature rich. (Not sure about Mingus.) Anyways, I
wouldn't want django-cms to get stuck being perceived as a "lowest
common denominator" featureset.

Doing it as a plugin seems like a great idea. Second best would be some
great documentation and example code for integrating it in as-is.

Michael

[1] http://nathanborror.com/posts/2007/dec/02/django-basic-apps/
Kevin
2010-02-03 17:25:24 UTC
Post by Michael Hipp
My only concern would be that the blog included in django-basic-apps is
marketed as being very, well, "basic" [1].
I was put off by that also. However, Nate has updated the apps
recently, and Kevin from django-mingus has forked the basic apps also,
so they are current.

As for the 'basic' label:

I think we want something simple that works out of the box, in a
'basic' fashion. We don't need to include it, or bundle it. We don't
need the newest hotness, since that will depend very much on who is
using the cms for what.

All we need is , well, 'basic' functionality, for a blog.

Here is a more updated fork of basic apps:
http://github.com/montylounge/django-basic-apps
Michael Hipp
2010-02-04 15:54:27 UTC
Post by Kevin
http://github.com/montylounge/django-basic-apps
I'm going to download and try to implement this. I'll keep some notes on
the process.

Michael